SAMPE NORTH AMERICA NAMES CHAPTER OF THE YEAR WINNER
SAMPE north america names chapter of the year winner
Thursday, June 24, 2021, DIAMOND BAR, CA – The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE) North America, today announced that the winner of the “Chapter of the Year” award is the SAMPE South Texas chapter. The SAMPE South Texas (SOTEX) Chapter prides itself on expanding learning opportunities for both our professional members as well as our student members. The chapter is spread over 35,000 square miles, ranging from Waco to Houston, to Corpus Christi, to San Antonio, and Austin. Their events rotate between the three primary cities of Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, and often visit other locations in between. During the pandemic, SAMPE SOTEX and its student chapters transitioned to hosting socially distanced events and lectures on several interesting topics followed by Q&A sessions to encourage group engagement and educational outreach.
SAMPE SOTEX supports its student chapters in the following:
- Funding student chapters with $250 per semester to help with meetings and travel expenses
- Post-tour hosted dinners provide fellowship between the students and the professional members
- Providing letters of support to receive SAMPE student chapter awards (for example, Texas State University has received the SAMPE student chapter award since 2018)
- Encouraging students to attend plant visits to see real-world applications and hone their leadership skills
- Helping students to find a career in the composites field with companies such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Gulfstream, Raytheon, Hexion, Toray, Hexcel, CFAN, and more.
SAMPE SOTEX members serve on the following National Committees:
- CAMX 2020 Technical Chair – Dr. Jitendra Tate
- Chapter Relations Committee – Kyle Johnson
- Technical Excellence Committee – Robert Brushaber, Co-chair
- Emerging Technologies Subcommittee – Robert Brushaber and Dr. Joe Koo
- High Temperatures Materials Subcommittee – Robert Brushaber and Dr. Joe Koo
- Additive Manufacturing Subcommittee – Dr. Joe Koo
- Recycling Subcommittee – Robert Brushaber
SAMPE SOTEX sends out an e-newsletter, three to five times a year, and maintains an active website that provides links to their newsletter, rotating images of past SAMPE SOTEX events, links to SAMPE national events, and employment opportunities. In addition, a new LinkedIn page was added for the chapter this year.
This award will be presented at the upcoming SAMPE awards event at CAMX 2021 in Dallas, TX, with details to be announced soon.
The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE®), a global professional member society, provides enhanced educational opportunities by delivering information on new and advanced materials and processing technology. SAMPE provides growth and educational opportunities via conferences, exhibitions, technical forums, and publications. As the only technical society encompassing all fields of endeavor in materials and processes, SAMPE provides a unique and valuable forum for scientists, engineers, and academicians. SAMPE North America is a regional subsidiary of SAMPE that serves Canada, Mexico, and the United States.